Hardwood flooring can give your home a sophisticated, luxurious appearance and completely refresh and transform the look of your home. Hardwood is a very popular choice among homeowners who are going for a traditional, classic look. If you've recently decided to update your flooring with hardwood, you may be wondering what the installation process is like. Let's take an in-depth look at the process to install hardwood flooring.
Choosing the Best Flooring for Your SpaceWhile you may love the look of hardwood, it may not work for every area of your home. Hardwood flooring is more durable and long-lasting than other flooring choices and it can increase the value of your home. However, they do not work well in areas that get a lot of moisture or humidity like laundry rooms or bathrooms. They work great in common areas like living rooms, dens, and kitchens and even make a perfect choice for bedrooms.
Setting Your BudgetHardwood flooring can be expensive, depending on the size of your room, the type, and style of hardwood you're choosing. It's essential to research flooring choices and styles beforehand so that you're not shell-shocked by the price tag when you go to purchase your flooring materials. Keep in mind that a quality hardwood will cost between $3 and $8 per square foot, so set your budget accordingly. You will also want to be sure to check your subflooring, as it needs to be in good condition for your hardwood to be installed. Make sure you budget for any subflooring repairs and preparation.
Installation ProcessOnce you have cleared out the room, there are a few steps you need to take before you can begin your install. Here are a few guidelines to get you started.
- - Acclimate your hardwood flooring – make sure it has the right moisture content
- - Remove furniture, area rugs, and clear the room
- - Remove baseboards and mouldings
- - Sand the subfloor for a smooth surface
- - Clean the room of debris, dirt, and dust
- - Start laying your first row of flooring
- - Pre-drill holes for nails and start to fasten the first row
- - Rack the flooring and install the next rows
- - Be sure to cut your corners for a snug fit
- - Cut your last row to fit in place
- - Reinstall trim and baseboards
- Installing hardwood flooring can be a time-consuming process, and you need to follow precise steps to get it done right. Before you start your hardwood installation, come talk to our experts at Flooring Superstores Calgary. Visit our showroom and we will help you pick out the perfect hardwood flooring.